SUNDRY THOUGHTS AND WORDS....

When I was in grade school, they told me to write down what I wanted to be when I grew up.

I wrote down happy.

They told me I didn't understand the assignment,
I told them they didn't understand life

- Unknown



To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter... to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life. ~John Burroughs
You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need. ~Vernon Howard
© 2010-2014 (Whimseys, Writings and Thoughts) All Rights Reserved

Friday, March 11, 2011

I pale in comparison....but I don't want to

I've got to tell you, I've ready some pretty terrific books.....each one different, exciting, engaging and wonderfully written in its own way.  My favorites are the ones where you can tell the author must have spent years doing research so that every detail in a scene makes you believe the author has been there, done that, knows of what he/she is speaking......but even more importantly makes the reader feel like they've just stepped right into each scene and discussion....makes them feel like they are walking down the roads in the book, lets them actually feel the heat or cold, lets them taste the food, smell the smells...becomes one with the characters....become a part of the book.  I'm not sure I've ever read a book that meets all the  criteria more than the book I just finished,  Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese. 

The man is brilliant, masterful, the kind of writer I love.  Reading his book has sparked in me the need to get back to the book I'm writing "Demitasse Magique" (The Magic Tea Cup). First off I need to get it written and published....and then hopefully someday when someone reads it, they will know how much time I spent doing research to make the people and places in my story come alive in the book and in to the reader...hopefully one of the readers of my book will post somewhere that I am the kind of writer they love....that I am brilliant and masterful.


I will let "Cutting for Stone" rest a while in my thoughts and in my bones before I get into the next book I will be reading....  a time-travel romance by Linda LaRoque called A Way Back

My book is a sort of time-travel romance too and so I'm seeking to see how others handle that genre.


For now it's back to my real work for the moment....and only time to dream about what my heart aches to do all the time....write. 

No comments: