SUNDRY THOUGHTS AND WORDS....

When I was in grade school, they told me to write down what I wanted to be when I grew up.

I wrote down happy.

They told me I didn't understand the assignment,
I told them they didn't understand life

- Unknown



To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter... to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life. ~John Burroughs
You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need. ~Vernon Howard
© 2010-2014 (Whimseys, Writings and Thoughts) All Rights Reserved

Friday, September 19, 2008

Days flying by....Fall rushing in...

Well gracious, where have the days gotten off to? Could it possibly be that I last wrote in my blog on Sunday and here we are on the dawn of a Friday starting the following weekend?

Just as usual the minutes, hours, days and weeks just seem to fly by. I guess it happens that way when you are content with where you are in life. And that I certainly am. Content and blissfully happy. Each day when I drive down my street after a day at work and pull into my driveway--I hit the button to close the garage door behind me, I turn off my car and all the day’s frustrations just seem to melt away. For I am home….truly where my heart is. Home, that is a castle to me; Home, that is a comfort, warm and full of love, friendship, long talks; Home, clean and comfortable; Home, where ‘my love’ shares his life with me. But then that’s what home is supposed to be isn’t it?

Yesterday morning, Kev, our local weather man used one of the “F” words on the morning news!!! Well actually he used two of the “F” words!!! Aghhhhhhh! He said “Frost” and “Flurries”. Say it isn’t so! This morning we are supposed to be in the upper 30’s and with a quick check on weather.com there it is. At 5:09 A.M. on Friday morning we are 39 degrees…..Good morning “Fall”! But those words only apply to the tippy top of the mountains 5 hours away. Here it will be another glorious fall day in Maine. The four seaons unfolding at just the right time. Each season bringing with it various joys, sights and sounds. I'm not sure there are many other places where you can have crisp cool mornings that turn into beautiful sun filled 70's. Where even in the winter, with snow on the ground, days are filled with laughter, snow tubing, skiing and wonderful walks. And the summers, although they can be very warm at times are usually in the 70's or 80's. Maine is truly as it's state slogan says "Life the way it should be"

Fall in New England is a wonderful time though ….really. I love fall, I’m a fall girl (you know on the makeup and clothes color chart!). November birthday....all that sort of thing. I love the colors of fall-- gold, brown, russet, crimson, terracotta, faded shades of green and yellow. And then of course, for those of you who know me really well….even though it’s not a fall color….mix any of those with turquoise….and there you have her - Peggy! When the leaves start changing and filling our views with their magnificent colors, it is truly breathtaking. Soon all the “leaf peepers” will travel up this way to enjoy God’s artwork.

This week has really flown by, but it’s been a good week. I started back to school on Tuesday night. Well it’s a school of sorts. I attend a writer’s workshop where we get a prompt (with examples from published writers), write for an hour and then read back to the class what we wrote and get critiqued. I love it….no wait, let me say that again…I LOVE IT!! This session’s class is completely full with 15 or 16 writers. Some of the writers have been writing for a long time. Some of the writers have had a few things published. Some are hoping to have something published someday (like me)….maybe that’s something for which everyone in the class hopes. Some of the writers are there for the first time dipping their toes into the writer’s water, taking that scary first step to let someone else hear what and how they write. I am always amazed at all the different styles and feelings that evoke from the words I hear. I yearn to write like some of them do…. with such feeling and passion; intertwining words into sentences into thoughts into plots into stories….into “best sellers”. I love words and I love writing…..

Have a truly splendid day!

Take care of yourself, whatever you do. There aren’t many people as special as you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh.. now you are talking my time of year! I LOVE fall and winter. Being from Wyoming, I'm used to it coming early also. I'm up here in the Pac. NW now.. and the trees are turning, and its supposed to be foggy/rainy all weekend.. think some hot chicken soup and homemade bread is in my future!!
Thanks for visiting my blog!!

Badger said...

The weather is really cooling off here, too! Almost 10:00 AM, and it's only 84 degrees! I would have been in New England last week, but a tussle with my motorcycle on August 31 has left me sidelined for a while! Probably a good thing, though, as Honey, who is a warm-weather flower, would have been huddled, shivering, by the fire; unwilling to to more than glance at the fall colors! Keep up the descriptions, Peg! It's been six years since I was last in NE, and I hope it won't be six more!