SUNDRY THOUGHTS AND WORDS....

When I was in grade school, they told me to write down what I wanted to be when I grew up.

I wrote down happy.

They told me I didn't understand the assignment,
I told them they didn't understand life

- Unknown



To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter... to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life. ~John Burroughs
You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need. ~Vernon Howard
© 2010-2014 (Whimseys, Writings and Thoughts) All Rights Reserved

Sunday, March 20, 2011

I'm a fair weathered friend...

Friday the yard was beginning to show through. Small spots, circled around the trees.  Then they got bigger and spread.  The warmth of the sunshine (rare for this time of March in Maine) was melting the snow at a rapid pace, even though the weatherman called it a "slow melt"--the kind much wanted to avoid flooding of the streams and rivers. The tiny hands of a Crocus and a Tulip appeared out of the ground waving shyly to show they were bravely coming out of their long sleep.  I had visions of impatiens and blue plumbago, roses and violets.  I felt the joy of walking outside with only a light cotton sweater on.  Life was once again wonderful.  Hope was renewed. The grass longing to be combed free of all the sand that had blown up from the snow plows....it was grand...it was splendid...it was glorious................and then I woke up Saturday morning.....was it a dream...was this a nightmare....what the heck!!!!  Nobody said it was going to snow.  OK WHO SHOOK THE SNOW GLOBE....STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT! But it just continued to snow, big fluffy wet flakes for a few hours.  I played a childhood game with myself....and as my grandmother used to tell me (when I was 5 years old)...oh honey, the angles are just sprinkling powdered sugar on their cookies.  Well cookies snookies
....STOP IT!

It did eventually stop and the sun came out and the melting began again....and now today I can see the yard again and "little plant hands" are a tiny big higher and waving more proudly. Sunshine kisses my soul...it's a good thing and I love it. Come on sun....come on spring....come on joy!

My mother always says... "As the corners of your mouth goes, so goes your day"....I say "As the lack of snow grows, so goes my happiness.  Sorry Mother Nature....I'm a fair weathered (really a warm weathered) friend.

No comments: